LANGUAGE COMPREHENSION MODEL

I. Language Comprehension
Read the following poem and choose the correct answer for the questions that follow:

Fallen Leaves
Why should I be the first to fall
Of all the leaves on this old tree?
Though sadly soon I know that all
Will lose their hold and follow me
While my birth - brothers bravely blow
Why should I be the first to go?
Why should I be the last to cling
Of all the leaves on this bleak bough?
I have fluttered since the fire of spring
And I am worn and withered now
I would escape the winter gale
And sleep soft - silvered by a snail.
When swoop the legions of the snow
To pitch their tents in roaring weather
We fallen leaves will lie below
And rot rejoicing together;
And from our rich and dark decay
Will laugh our brothers of the May.

1. Which of the following pairs of words do not rhyme?
A. Spring - cling 
B. together - weather
C. blow - bough 
D. snow - below

2. Which among the following phrases come nearer in meaning to "worn and withered"?
A. Hail and hearty 
B. Black and blue
C. Wear and tear 
D. Cut and dried

3. In the first stanza, what does the phrase "my birth - brothers" stand for?

A. Other trees 
B. Other leaves
C. Wind 
D. Other seasons


4. "………...….. sleep soft - silvered by a snail" is an example of ……..……
A. Alliteration 
B. Assonance
C. Simile 
D. Rhyme

Comments